THE CMG INNOVATION AND FANS 1ST MEDIA DESIGN & INNOVATION GROUPS ARE DELIGHTED TO WELCOME YOU TO AUSTIN AND THE SXSW INTERACTIVE FESTIVAL.
We hope you’ll get a chance to stop by and visit us at 500 San Marcos Street, Suite 102 (near the corner of 5th and San Marcos).
We’ve created a suggested schedule for you based on all the things we care about at Cox — media, cars, data science and such. At the top of your list, however, should be our annual Barbecue + Media shindig. That’s from 4-7pm Monday, March 13th.
Because you might want to have a little fun while you’re here, we’ve also included a few restaurants and bars we like.
Along those lines, here's an awesome list of parties and other cool events put together by our friends at the Statesman.
A couple of important pre-event reminders and tips:
- Uber vs. City of Austin in an ugly fight. We, the people, lost. The backstory is that Uber pulled out after the city tried to make it fingerprint drivers. There are some alternate ride-sharing services, and you should download their apps and put in your credit card info before you arrive. We recommend:
- Rental cars are mostly useless. Too many roads blocked off, too much traffic. Unless you know you need a rental car to drive out into the country, skip it. Take one of the local ride-sharing services or a pedicab.
- Geography matters. You can have a great conference without ever getting into a vehicle. Focus your session attending around the convention center, the Hilton, and the JW Marriott. Take a look at the map before you come.
- The problem of consecutive sessions during SxSW interactive: If they are both in the same hotel or conference space, fine. But if you try to attend back-to-back sessions involving a venue change, you’ll often arrive at the new venue only to find a fire marshal on hand sending people away. So, if you’re changing venues, plan for an hour between sessions. Go get lunch or something.
- Download the SxSW app: The conference frequently changes locations and cancels sessions etc at the last minute.
We look forward to seeing you in Austin this year!
Cox Media Group